Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fees Protest

Last Wednesday, everything in Dublin came to a halt when 15,000 students marched through City Center to protest the reintroduction of college level fees. Students from all over the country gathered in Front Square at Trinity and marched to the Garden of Remembrance on Parnell St. and then to the Leinster House where opposing politicians, trade union members, and student leaders spoke to the gathering of protesters. 




I met up with my Irish friends (pictured) who were also protesting, although I mostly ran around the crowd trying to get some cool pictures. The protesters were really rowdy and three guys (pictured below) had painted themselves, were half naked were my best photography subjects. Tons of the students kept asking if I was from the media, so after about the hundredth time I just started saying "Yeah I am from MTV." The group of boys who I got the best set of pictures from wants me to e-mail them since they show such great intensity and of course since I'm from MTV!
The protested lasted from around two pm till nearly five and the whole time the students where chanting "No cutbacks, no fees, no Fianna Fail TDs." It was big and it was loud, an awesome opportunity for me to play with my new camera and get some great shots!

"No to Fees"
"Laughing Guarda"
"Take Our Picture for MTV"
"Dubliner Cowboy"

No comments: