Wednesday, April 1, 2009

SPRING BREAK IN SPAIN



Its been a long time since I have blogged last, but its only because for the last month I have been traveling! I think this Spring Break may have been the best one yet! I left on March 6th for Spain, knowing that I wouldn't be back in Dublin for awhile, happy to see the sunshine and explore I was ready for this adventure! My first stop was Granada, my Irish friend, Shona and I flew to Malaga, and took a two hour bus to Granada. We met her friend, who is studying in Granada for the semester and it was a fun couple of days! The town is perfect for spring break because it is a huge college town, full of students from all over! I toured the city on foot like I do in most cities and my friends took me to this awesome look out point where I could see the Alhambra and the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains that sit behind amazing palace. The nightlife was a blast, and pretty much everything we did was as cheap as dirt, which was a nice change from Dublin's expensive nightlife! I left my friends in Granada and took a 3 hour bus ride to Sevilla. I had no idea what to expect after being in Granada, and Sevilla is a completely different city. I think it may be my new favorite place in Europe. I reminded me a little bit like Boulder with a hippy vibe, free spirit attitude, and relaxed atmosphere. I stayed in probably the coolest places of anywhere in europe, a pension right in city center, where the narrow streets made by shuttered houses and family businesses conceal the view of anything outside. You could get lost in the maze of these skinny alleyways, and believe me I was lost too many times! I met one of my best friends from Santa Clara in Sevilla and it was so great to see her since its been nearly 8 months! It is always nice to be there with someone who really knows the city! I did a lot of the touristy stuff, while my friend, Meredith was in class and my favorite discovery of the weekend was when Mer and I found this out door market in the Bohemian district of Sevilla. I ate the most amazing food in Sevilla, tapas are seriously the best ever! The weather in Sevilla was perfect and i couldn't have been happier to wear my flip flops! After spending about 5 days in Sevilla, I took my next Bus to Madrid. It was a very long bus ride, but having been pretty worn out from all the excitement, I slept most of the way. I met a good friend in Madrid from middle school and high school that I haven't seen in two years! After about 10 minutes it was like nothing had changed and we were back to our usual high school shenanigans! My friend Katie, lives in a very cool bohemian neighborhood, her piso (floor) was in such a cool building and it was a blast being surrounded only by the spanish language. I never really caught on to my spanish, its very different to the spanish in South America, but it was fun being in a place where I could kinda understand what people were saying! I saw the whole city and spent nights in clubs dancing. Katie took me around and showed me the sites of the City and we finished with a trip to the famous tapa bar, El Tigre, where costumers throw trash on their trash on the ground to show off how good the food is! It is quite the sight when you walk into this bar, but it was without a doubt the best food i ate in Madrid. Touring around Spain couldn't have been better for my Spring Break adventure! I feel so lucky that I got the chance to go and see so many cool cities while I was there! I headed back to Dublin the day before St. Paddy's, not quite ready to leave, but looking forward to the excitement of the Irish Holiday!

No comments: